You do not have to pay VAT if you can declare that you are chronically sick or disabled. Chronically sick means that you have an illness that is likely to last a long time e.g. arthritis, angina. Disabled means substantially and permanently handicapped by illness or injury. You do not have to be registered disabled to claim relief from VAT, but the nature of your illness or disability must be specified.

If you are in any doubt as to whether you are eligible to receive goods or services zero-rated for VAT you should consult Notice 701/7 VAT reliefs for disabled people or contact our National Advice Service on 0845 010 9000 before signing the declaration.
Declare that:
I am chronically sick or have a disabling condition by reason of: (give full and specific description of your condition)
and that I am receiving from Orchard Mobility goods which are being supplied to me for domestic or my personal use.
By checking the box below, I claim relief from Value Added Tax under Group 12 of Schedule 8 to the Value Added Tax Act 1994.
N.B. There are severe penalties for making false declarations